Plan a Field Trip
Your adventure awaits at Historic St. Mary’s City! The museum’s school programs align with Maryland State Common Core Content Standards and Essential Skills for students in grades preschool through 12th grade. Browse through our downloadable online catalog to see our menu of guided tour and outreach programs. For pricing and availability, please contact us at 301-994-4371 or email email@example.com or download our field trip planner below.
Unable to travel to the museum? Visit our virtual platform with resources and videos for educators.
Fill out a tour reservation request here and someone from the Tours department will be in touch with you.
A social story, or social narrative, has been created for each outdoor exhibit area to help your class prepare for their day.
Historic St. Mary’s City wants to make sure you have the tools you need to provide your students with materials that can prepare them for their HSMC experience, as well as enhance their learning once they return to the classroom.
Looking to dig deeper? Visit our virtual platform for videos, lesson plans and more.
Welcome, students! Historic St. Mary’s City has prepared information just for you.
Curious on what you will see once you arrive? Visit our social narratives, pages set to specifically prepare students for what they may see during their visit.
Historic St. Mary’s City offers unique educational programs designed for homeschool families throughout the year.
View our calendar for upcoming Homeschool Workshops
Historic St. Mary’s City Terra Mariae program
The Terra Mariae program is an intensive program for homeschoolers, running March – November. See below for the full description and how your homeschooler can get involved:
As a Terra Mariae Society participant you will:
- Participate in the program for one museum season (March – November)
- Interpret (in costume) the various aspects of 17th-century life
- Participate in and conduct school tours, demonstrations, and daily 17th-century tasks
- Learn the history of early Maryland
- Learn how to interpret to the public
- Perform written assignments as assigned by the site supervisors and/or parent as required for the homeschool curriculum
- Assist in completing your own 17th-century costume
- Complete a final research project.
- 80% – period interpretation
- 50% general interpretation, speaking to visitors, hands-on study
- 20% interpretive maintenance, animal husbandry, gardening
- 10% special events, demonstrations, tours
- 20% – non-period maintenance, training, research.
Historic St. Mary’s City Youth Interpreter Apprentice
The summer Youth Interpreter Apprentice program is dedicated to enriching and motivating young minds in a way that is unique. The program aims to impart knowledge about Maryland’s history and the 17th century to students. Moreover, they will get valuable opportunities to refine their communication skills by interacting with the public as living history interpreters at one of three outdoor living history sites: Maryland Dove, the Woodland Indian Hamlet, or the Town Center. The program is an excellent opportunity for selected students to play a vital role in elevating the overall quality of Historic St. Mary’s City as a museum. Students will need to commit two days per week, with three to four hours each day, for the summer program.
Youth Interpreter Apprentice information
Historic St. Mary’s City offers many ways for BSA and Girl Scouts to fulfill their badge requirements. While visiting the museum, scouts have the opportunity to earn and learn by participating in discussions, receiving instruction, and through hands-on activities. All programs are designed to support and align with badge requirements and can also be tailored to meet the needs of your individual troop.
- Service Projects – Historic St. Mary’s City will work with your scouts to complete their service project requirements. From trail maintenance, woodworking, or assisting with events, the Museum invites your scouts to help. Please contact 301-994-4391 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Activities for scouts