18751 Hogaboom Ln
St Marys City, MD 20686
Experience early Maryland through hands-on activities, demonstrations, and crafts.
$5 per child age 5 and older; one accompanying adult free; $10 each additional adult; reduced rates for Friends members of the museum.
10:45 a.m. Town Center Sheep, Wool, and Mittens. Join Miss Donna as she demonstrates how to work wool into yarn. (approximately 35 minutes)
11:30 a.m. Maryland Dove A Stitch in Time… Discover what a sailor’s palm is, and why it was (and is) important. (approximately 15 minutes)
11:30 a.m. Godiah Spray Tobacco Plantation Laundry Day! (approximately 20 minutes)
1:30 p.m. Reconstructed State House of 1676 St. Mary’s Citizens: Then and Now. See how the colonists would have dressed, and learn what clothing revealed about a person’s social status, during the time of the colonial capital. Eight volunteers will be selected on a first come, first served basis, beginning at 1:15 p.m. (approximately 35 minutes)
2:30 p.m. Maryland Dove A Stitch in Time… Discover what a sailor’s palm is, and why it was (and is) important. (approximately 15 minutes)
2:30 p.m. Godiah Spray Tobacco Plantation Laundry Day! (approximately 20 minutes)
Ongoing Woodland Indian Hamlet
- Work on one of the first steps in clothes making – removing fur from a raw skin.
- Assist in needle making.
- Discover what cordage is, and make some.
- Take a peek at the investigation station.
- Learn about Powhatan’s mantle, and how you can help us.
Ongoing Town Center
- Learn the basics of weaving.
- Learn what colonists would have used for paper.
- Discover which goods Mark Cordea would have carried in his storehouse.
Ongoing Maryland Dove
- Ships brought clothing and bales of cloth. Learn how goods would have been brought on board.
- While at sea, sailors had to repair their own clothes. Try your hand at patching.
- Dress up
Ongoing Godiah Spray Tobacco Plantation
- When you have seven children, hand-me-downs are very important — as is the skill for pinning and patching. See how it’s done.
- If you want to buy clothes, you need to have credit, and the form of credit is tobacco. Learn how you can help the Spray family grow more.